Teacher Reuse Exchange. Click here for more information. Our mission is to enable educators in
Forsyth County, Georgia to have access to free materials for classroom use while promoting an ethic
of conservation and reuse of valuable reusable resources. We provide free instructional materials to
educators, donated by businesses, individuals and manufacturers as their unwanted by-products,
rejects, over stocks and obsolete materials.
- Matched funding for reusable bags under grant with SWC (2015-2016).
- Volunteer and materials assistance with SWC Conservation Department senior center reusable crafts.
- $1,000 to KFCB for Adopt-A-Stream grant (2016).
- Donated 200 reusable bags to KFCB (2017). 100 bags given to the Forsyth County Water Department.
- Matched $500 in KFCB funding for Whitlow Elementary Wishlist Items (2017).
- $150 to KFCB Student of the Year (2018).
- $100 to KFCB Student of the Year (2016, 2017, 2019).
Bags of Books. Since 2014, in partnership with the Sawnee Woman's Club, we have been donating new and gently used books to inspire the love of reading to Forsyth County Schools and to local charities and literacy organizations. Thank you to Sawnee EMC Operation Round Up and UPS for their contributions.
- 180 bags for each kindergarten student (2017)
- 190 bags for each kindergarten student (2018)
- 185 bags for each kindergarten student (2019)
4,963 books and bags
Program growth & outreach thanks to donations at the Teacher Reuse Exchange (opened July 2020):
- 2,784 books - 1,188 (554 bags) for each kindergarten and pre-K student at Chestatee, Chattahoochee, Cumming & Coal Mountain Elementary Schools and 466 The Place of Forsyth Holiday House, 150 Mentor Me North Georgia, 200 GREAT Little Minds, 510 Meals by Grace, 60 Friends of the Library, and 210 Head Start Program (2020)
- 6,984 books - 250 Children Read, 1,832 Cumming Elementary, 1,620 Chattahooche Elementary (805) bags, 2,232 Chestatee Elementary (1,116 bags), 1,000 Coal Mountain Elementary, and 50 Riverwatch Middle School (2021)
14,731 books donated to date!!
Learn how you can help us with this effort - click here.
Boys & Girls Club of Forsyth County. The very first Boys & Girls Club in Forsyth County opened its doors at Cumming Elementary for the 2018-19 school year. In partnership with the Sawnee Woman's Club, we collect donations of books, games and puzzles for use by children in the club.
Rally Foundation. 70 reusable bags each with a coloring book, crayons and leveled reader for children battling cancer during Covid-19 crisis at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta - Scotish Rite and Egelston.
Bags for Seniors. In partnership with the Sawnee Woman's Club, we put together Sweetheart and Holiday Bags for seniors that The Place of Forsyth serve: February 2019-2020 and December 2019.
Shepherd Center. We're still continuing our work with the Shepherd Center to get staff and patients excited about going green. Reaping Nature's Executive Director, Denise Carleton, is a member of Shepherd's Sustainability Committee.
- Plastic Free July. Handed out stainless steel straws and reusable bags to staff and patients (2018 & 2019).
- America Recycles Day (2019).
- Donation of handouts at recycling education events & staff (on-going).
- Paper Recycling launching center-wide March 2020.
Buddy Bags. Click here for more information. Shoes and Bras and Sport Bras. Reaping Nature collects these items all year long. Shoes are shipped to gotsneakers?. Footwear accepted. Reaping Nature collects bras and sport bras for Bra Recyclers. They get them to woman and girls in need. October is bra recycling month. If you would like to get involved in these efforts, please contact us. Annual Earth Day and America Recycles Day contests for students in Forsyth County Schools (public, private and homeschool).
Five Points Challenge 5K. This event has been discontinued. Thank you to everyone who participated for a great five year run. This event has allowed us to fund our programs, as well as support Atlanta’s Shepherd Center as follows:
- $2,000 to support single stream recycling efforts (2015-2016).
- 300 reusable water bottles to patients and staff (2015-2017).
- 100 reusable water bottles for Project Rollway fundraising event goodie bags (2017).
- 200 reusable bags for Shepherd Peers event (2017).
- 200 stainless steel straws to patients and staff at Shepherd Center (2016-2017).
Compost bins for Forsyth County Schools in partnership with Tyson Foods. Together we have installed compost bins at the following Forsyth County Schools since 2012:
- Forsyth Central High School
- North Forsyth High School (has 2 bins!)
- Piney Grove Middle School
- Matt Elementary has two bins!) (#16)